The Simple Steps to Membership
Step 1: Visit A Rehearsal
The Heart of Florida Chorus is more than just a men’s chorus, it is a family. We love getting together each week to enjoy friendships as well as make great music. Come and discover a truly American form of music and its unique ringing chords.
You are always welcome at our rehearsals, whether or not you have joining in mind. We will make sure you are comfortable and enjoy your experience. Consider this your official invitation to visit us from 6:30 to 9:00 PM on Thursdays.Please plan to arrive at rehearsals by approximately 6:15 p.m. on most Thursday evenings.
- Please plan to arrive at rehearsals by approximately 6:15 p.m. on most Thursday evenings.
- Bring a friend or a member of your family with you for moral support, if you wish. Part of our mission is to introduce barbershop harmony to as many people as possible.
- Please check in at our guest table before the rehearsal starts to meet your “Riser Buddy”
- Until you become a member, a guest songbook will be provided with all the current repertoire. Please be certain to return it at the end of the evening.
- While in “guest status” you will be placed, when your are ready to sing, next to a seasoned member of our Chorus who will help you have a great experience. Please ask him a lot of questions.
- Early in your second visit, you will be asked to participate, privately, in a very simple voice placement exercise that will help us know which of our voice sections (i.e., Lead, Tenor, Baritone, or Bass) would benefit most from your vocal talents.
- This voice placement is the very first step in the membership process by evaluating your basic vocal skills – range, pitch matching, etc. No preparation is required. This voice placement is not a permanent decision.
- Keep coming to rehearsals and continue the fun!
- You will be asked if you would ultimately be interested in auditioning for membership, if you haven’t already expressed your interest.
Step 2: Audition
There are so many reasons to join! Spend time with a wonderful group of men, learn some amazing music, and get a chance to perform and strut your stuff!
- Relax! The audition is not difficult. Remember, we’re all committed to helping you succeed!
- The primary objective is to ensure that you will be a good fit in the Chorus and that you can learn music in a timely manner. Eventually , , ,
- You must be able to sing in tune.
- You should be able to hear those around you and blend your voice with theirs. The Heart of Florida emphasizes ensemble singing.
- You will learn how to “hold your own” — that is you will cultivate the ability to sing your own part when surrounded by those who aren’t.
- During your audition, you will be asked to perform your voice part of I’d Love To Live In Loveland “on your own” accompanied by a full mix audio (all four parts singing.)
- The links below enable you to download the sheet music, the learning track for your part and the full mix that will be used in your audition. You will need head phones or ear buds to use the learning tracks effectively. They will enable you to hear your part in your left ear with the other 3 parts in you right.
Sheet Music for I’d Love to Live in Loveland
- Like many of our current members, you may be asked to re-audition after working on the song a little more.
- We will also offer you one-on-one coaching during the audition process to answer any questions and to suggest ways for you to improve your presentation, if necessary. Current members have found that these one-on-one coaching sessions, with your Section leader, are an invaluable part of the audition process.
- Your Section Leader will check for proficiency of words, notes, rhythms, and general vocal production as part of the evaluation process.
Step 3: Membership
- Once you have successfully auditioned, the Music Team will notify the Board of Directors that you are eligible for membership.
- This is your best opportunity to understand financial obligations, uniform requirements, performance and attendance expectations for both rehearsals and performances.
- At this point, our Chapter Secretary will fully explain membership dues that support Chorus/Chapter activities and expenses, District events, and Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS) functions.
- He will also help make certain your BHS membership application is completed correctly.
- When he has your signed application with membership fees, he will formally present your name to the Board for final approval.
- Once the Board of Directors approves your membership, you’re IN! A wonderful musical journey awaits you! Congratulations, you made it! WELCOME to the Heart of Florida. We’re glad to have you!
Participate. Perform. Have Fun. Contribute.
- In order to continually improve your song craft as a full member of the Heart of Florida Chorus, make sure you schedule time, at home, to practice your songs in between rehearsals. Singing is like any exercise . . . if you don’t use it, you lose it.
- Before you practice at home, you will want to develop a regular voice warmup routine. This will help protect your voice and provide the opportunity to work on a variety of skills at once (i.e. flexibility, range, breath control, dynamics (volume control, etc.)
Where We Rehearse